All Saints Church is an Episcopal Church in the diocese of Washington, D.C. It was established
in 1642 by Sir Thomas Gerard, a Roman Catholic, for his Anglican wife as a “Chapel of Ease”. The first Church was built on the site in 1750 and called Tomakoken Church after the nearby creek. In 1823, the Church became known as All Saints’ Church of King and Queen Parish now Oakley Parish. The present church building was constructed in 1846. “A more peaceful spot would be difficult to find than the little church and cemetery,” wrote Robert E. T. Pogue, in his book “Old Maryland Landmarks” - how very true - and therein the All Saints Cemetery lies Robert, resting in peace.
The Holy Eucharist is celebrated each Sunday at 10:00am .
Father Harry Harper has well served as Rector
22598 Oakley Road, Avenue
Though only officially established as a parish in 1906, the Holy Angels Parish encompasses contains the beginnings of Catholicism in Maryland. St. Clément’s Island, not too far from the Parish church, was the site of the first Catholic Mass in the English-speaking colonies which the Jesuit priest, Fr. Andrew White, celebrated when the Arc and the Dove first landed in Maryland on March 25, 1634.
The Parish welcomes those interested in devoting themselves “to the apostles’ teaching and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers” (Acts 2:42) like the first Christian community 2000 years ago.
The current Pastor of Holy Angels Parish is Father Sam Plummer. Weekend Mass is celebrated at 4:30pm on Saturday and 10:30am on Sunday. The famous Parish dinners are offered on the last Sunday of March and the Sunday after Labor Day in September.
1340 Colton Point Road, Avenue
According to Archdiocesan records, a Catholic chapel was built on Bushwood Manor in 1755, about 50 yards from the present Sacred Heart church. This chapel with 2 acres of land was donated to the Catholic Church in 1773 becoming Sacred Heart Parish, making it the first church dedicated to the Sacred Heart in the United States.
The Parish welcomes those interested in devoting themselves” to the apostles’teaching and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers” (Acts
2:42) like the first Christian community 2000 years ago.
The current Pastor of Sacred Heart Parish is Father Sam Plummer. Sunday Mass is celebrated at 6:30am and 8:00am. The famous Parish dinners are offered on the 4th Sunday of June and October.
23080 Maddox Road, Bushwood
Rev. Harry Harper Retired Priest of All Saints
Father Sam Plummer Pastor of Holy Angels & Sacred Heart
Overlooking historic St. Clément’s Island next to the St. Clément’s Island Museum at the home of Mike & Millie Huseman, the Shrine's most gracious host, this Mother of Light Shrine is a beautiful life-size replica of the Miraculous Medal formerly known as the Medal of the Immaculate Conception. A Jesuit priest, Father Andrew White, S.J., arrived here in 1634 to begin his mission of evangelization on the mainland. This Shrine was erected here as a special invitation to individuals and groups to visit this holy ground to pray. www.motheroflightshrine.com
Historic Churches and Religious Sites in St. Mary's County Front Cover
A Historic Churches and Religious Sites in St. Mary's County Interior Page
Historic Churches and Religious Sites in St. Mary's County Rear Cover
All Saints Episcopal Church is the Only Official Historic Church in the 7th District
In 1642, Sir Thomas Gerard, a Roman Catholic, created the first All Saints for his Anglican wife as a “Chapel of Ease” that she may have a place of worship. Soon thereafter came the establishment of what now is Oakley Parish of the Episcopal Church, Washington Diocese, and the later construction of All Saints Church.
All Saints is a testament to the principles of religious tolerance and religious freedom practiced by the predominantly Catholic community. Saving and restoring this historic religious landmark is a way of honoring and preserving these religious principles established by the wisdom and grace of our Catholic forebears for future generations
The 7th District community cherishes All Saints Church. Many of the stained glass windows in the current Church, some over 150 years old, were given in honor of well-known families of St. Mary’s County. The cemetery is truly ecumenical providing a final resting place for those of both Catholic and protestant denominations.
All Saints is blessed with the able restoration assistance of Don Cropp of Colony Buildings who restored the Blackistone Lighthouse. All Saints also is in need of financial assistance as it moves forward in the efforts to save and restore this beautiful church and welcomes all contributions.
All Saints would be pleased to provide more information about the plans and discuss several unique opportunities to recognize donors as it proceed with its restoration efforts.
Please direct your contributions and/or requests for further information to:
Bruce Blackistone, Fundraising Chairman
All Saints Episcopal Church
38825 Burch Road, Avenue, Maryland 20609
The All Saints Church Oakley Hall is the premier hall rental venue in the 7th District for weddings, events, & parties
Oakley Hall is a large full-service large venue w/fully equipped kitchen, restrooms, and tables & chairs suitable for over 100 people
Oakley Hall Address on Oakley Road
Oakley Hall Front View
For Oakley Hall rental information contact Nancy Zearfoss at 301-769-3125 or email Dr. Zearfoss at email@example.com
The rear of Oakley Hall with parking area w/new parking lot for scores of vehicles and ADA accessible ramp into the building
51s Blessing of the Fleet 11x17 poster, numbered & signed by artist daughter Elizabeth, for sale at $20ea donating half the proceeds to the All Saints Church Restoration Fund
Illustration © 2018 by Elizabeth Lord
All rights reserved